Designer Kristina Ivkovic arriving at the Jil Sander runway show in Milan with crystals and jewels decorating her ensemble - Feb 28, 2015 Designer Kristina Ivkovic arriving at the Jil Sander runway show in Milan with crystals and jewels decorating her ensemble - Feb 28, 2015

For Day Eight of Cat Nights, let’s delve into this bewitching theme a little further.

Tomorrow will be the last post in the series, after all! Imagine we said that in our best Glinda the Good Witch voice. Viewed in light (or dark?) of Cat Nights, much of the fashion world has been dabbling with pseudo-magic. You could even call it a trend. The upswing of interest in essential oils resembles potion making. The fascination with crystals is a more enduring craze, and certainly the most magical part of modern fashion.

There are all sorts of layers to the study of crystals. Not only are they gorgeous, many believe them to have special powers. The vast majority of this school of thought isn’t very scientific. But hey, let’s not forget that our most advanced scientific theories suggest that we only understand about 10% of the universe. The remaining 90% of everything — from the atoms of our bodies to the makeup of the most gigantic galaxies — is referred to by the scientific community as “dark matter.” It sounds ominous, but really it just means we humans don’t have the faintest idea what it is. Like Cat Nights itself, it is what we make of it.

With that food for thought in mind, let’s with an open mind take a peek into the metaphysical and mystical study of crystals. According to many traditions, there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to gorgeous gemstones and jewels like these.

Sapphires are most often blue but can come in other colors too. The startling hue comes from the presence of both iron and titanium in the stone’s makeup. It’s long been believed that sapphires are good for calming the mind, focusing the attention, and smoothing communication.

Amethysts are another familiar precious stone. Their light purple hue makes them easily identifiable. The belief that they help battle addiction goes back to the ancient Greek word amethustos, meaning sober. They’re also supposed to stimulate creativity and intuition.

Rubies are often considered the stone of love and passion. Thought to help all health matters related to blood or the heart, different legends suggest that rubies are connected to courage, and that the person who possesses a ruby need not fear misfortune. Easily mistaken for rubies, garnets are also deep red in color. Associated with pomegranates by ancient Romans, legend said that a garnet was given by Hades to Persephone, thus it sometimes symbolizes separated lovers or broken love. In Medieval times, the garnet was used to treat depression and liver problems.

Deep green in color, emeralds are among the most prized jewels and have been inducing envy for over 6,000 years. Aristotle was a fan, attesting that emeralds were useful in public speaking and legal matters, in addition to being good for the eyes. For the ancient Egyptians, emeralds signified fertility and rebirth, and they were a favorite of Cleopatra. In the Middle Ages, emeralds were used as an antidote to poisons and to alert the wearer of impending danger by supposedly turning a lighter or darker shade of green.

Aside from being a girl’s best friend, Diamonds have been a wedding ring favorite since the Renaissance. As the hardest mineral in existence, the diamond symbolizes everlasting, unbreakable love. In ancient Greece, diamonds were given to warriors because it was thought they made the wearer invincible. They are prized for their clear composition, prismatic qualities, and general flawlessness.

There are more types of gemstones of course and all of them have a storied history and special significance that makes their beauty even more admirable. Glinting and lustrous, we hope you’ve enjoyed this collection of gorgeous gems for the second-to-last day of Cat Nights! — jas